Thursday, April 1, 2010

Dark Lady Sonnets and Yorick's Skull

So shall thou feed on death, that feeds on men,
And death once dead, there's no more dying then.

I decided to finally play and take part in a card challenge. I have been a fan of Macabre Mondays for ages and played along for fun but never posted any of the cards. Being lazy I guess.

But this weeks challenge I could not pass up. Somber Shakespeare. I love Shakespeare and love the Dark Lady Sonnets. For a twist I added Yorick's skull to it, even though Yorick the Jester never appeared in the sonnets. Just thought the two of them would make a lovely macabre couple. Now there's a oxymoron for ya.

I took some paper from my scrap draw (thousands of leftover pieces of all kinds of papers) and cut and pasted this on a whitestock card. Then I added some Basic Grey rub-ons from the Eerie collection - the orange spiderwebs and 3 spiders. I had the perfect dark lady image in my stash of prints and colored her with watercolor pencils. I don't have any Copic's. Guess I have to save up for them. I added the Jolee's cauldron because the words had the word ''feed'' in it. I thought this would give the impression of maybe soup.... from a stock of bones (of Yorick ... or is this getting to sickly). Yorick's skull was a brad I had laying around and the looking glass skeleton text, bottom right is from the Spooky Alley series from Making Memories. (the skeleton ofcourse is in the soup!) Finally the sentiment are the last two lines of the 146 sonnet.

Well, this is my take on Somber Shakespeare. Not really somber. Not really macabre. It turned out more cutesy then I would have liked but it is what it is. It was fun playing along.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic card, Renee! You've colored the image beautifully and I just love the scene you've created with the rub-ons & Jolee's! Perfect quote for this, too... thanks so much for playing along with Macabre Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! Everything about it is just fab :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I am so glad you are posting so I get to SEE your creations! Just wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the Gruesome Twosome award!! Love your card! I love the green goo on the cauldron...bet that can be made with ink and crystal glaze. Hmmm
    Linda in PA

    ReplyDelete